Preventing the Spread of Communicable Diseases
In accordance with K.A.R. 28-1-6, if an outbreak occurs with one of the following communicable illnesses, we will follow the guidelines from the Kansas State Statutes as listed below.
- Chickenpox (varicella): Each infected person shall remain in isolation (excluded from school) until vesicles become dry and crusted. Each susceptible person in a school shall either be vaccinated within 72 hours of first exposure or excluded from school for 21 days from the last exposure to an infectious case.
- Pertussis (whooping cough): Each infected person shall remain in respiratory isolation (excluded from school) for 3 weeks if untreated or until completion of an appropriate antibiotic. Close contacts should not be excluded, regardless of immunization status, but monitored for 21 days for signs and symptoms of pertussis. Each contact who develops symptoms compatible with pertussis shall be considered as having a case of pertussis and shall be kept in isolation (excluded from school) until requirements for control of cases are met or until pertussis is no longer suspected.
- Mumps: Persons with mumps are required to remain in home isolation (excluded from school) for 9 days from the onset of any symptoms and at least 5 days following the onset of parotitis. Each susceptible person is to be excluded from school from day 12 to day 25 after exposure to an infectious case.
- Measles (rubeola): Persons with measles are required to remain in home isolation (excluded from school) for 4 days following the onset of rash. Each susceptible contact that is not age appropriately vaccinated within 72 hours of first exposure to an infectious measles case is required to be excluded from school for 21 days following the last exposure to an infectious case.
- Influenza: Persons with influenza are required to remain in home isolation for 7 days following onset of illness or for the duration of illness if the case is immune compromised
If this exclusion should occur, the staff at USD 360 will continue to communicate with you regarding homework and assignments for your child.
If you have any questions about this policy, please feel free to contact me.
Jordan Sadler, RN
USD 360 Caldwell Schools