WELLNESS TIPS AND TIDBITS
The following are 10 tips for becoming more active as a family:
- Plan ahead and track your progress. Write your activity plans on a family calendar and allow the children to check it off after completing each activity
- Set specific activity times. Try to determine time throughout the week when the whole family is available to do some fun physical activity together.
- Include work around the house or yard. Involve the children in vacuuming, sweeping, raking, etc.
- Use what is available or activity that requires no equipment. Examples include walking, jogging, playing tag, dancing, playing catch with a ball.
- Build new skills. Try something new each month to keep it fun interesting.
- Plan for all weather conditions. Indoor activities may include active video games, dance party, or climbing stairs. Enjoy outdoor activities as a bonus when the weather is nice.
- Start small. Begin with one family activity and add more when you feel everyone is ready. Take the dog for a longer walk or play another ballgame, or stay an extra 15 minutes at the park.
- Include other families. Invite others to join in your family activities. This is a great way for you and your children to spend time with friends while being physically active.
- Turn off the TV. Set a rule that no one can spend longer than 2 hours per day playing video games,cellphones, watching TV, or using the computer(except for school work). Instead of watching TV, play an active family game, dance to your favorite music, or go for a walk.
- Treat the family with fun physical activity. When it is time to celebrate as a family, do something active as a reward. Plan a trip to the zoo, park, or lake.